Hong Kong 2007

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Little Thanksgiving in Hong Kong

Thanksgiving Day and Weekend. Might be my favorite holiday of the year (it's neck and neck with my Birthday) but for sure my favorite holiday from July to December. And I think this is the first year I have missed being with my family for it.

I can remember in college the felling of driving home that first Thanksgiving and going back to Gibbons for a basketball game to see the dance team and the feeling of being home again. That feeling stays with you and happens every time I head south but ESPECIALLY on Thanksgiving week when you know for sure, without a doubt, almost EVERYONE will be home and getting together! Nothing beats that.

In my family we have some good ole family traditions that I love. Thanksgiving morning we usually have a golf tournement we play in. Either its with a lot of friends or just the family we seem to always play golf. Now there have been some Thanksgiving where I have missed out (may or may not be because I have fun the night before) and have been the one to take out morning cocktails and ham biscuits to the group as the pass our house on the 9th tee box- but I still count that in participating because I did something. After golf, mom and I head home and start the cooking. There is an order of what to do and when so everything can be done on time and nothing is left out. I LOVE cooking with my mom because I get to do a lot of it and she is really good at washing dishes as you go :) We watch the parades and listen to music while drinking wine- doesn't get much better. After all is ready, we head upstairs to change before sitting at the table. Christmas and Thanksgiving are the two times mom gets to use all her china and crystal so we have a formal, beautiful, table set and a wonderful meal with everyone. The BEST YEAR I remember the best is when we had my grandparents, Drake, and Beth in town and I think there was a soild 10 people around the table. That was the best ever.

Welllll this year was a little different. I found out that this amazing New Orleans style resturant was going to serve a Thanksgiving meal so I went a few days early to make a reservation (which was smart thinking ahead because we got one of the last tables!). I was really excited to get turkey and sides to enjoy the holiday Hong Kong style.

The day of Thanksgiving I was working and actually was participating in the Toastmasters meeting and decided to go ahead and give a speech to the group about Thanksgiving to help them understand our one holiday that we celebrate what we are Thankful for (and eat a ton and watch football). It was a great little talk even though my friend Dan (he's from Cville) started to tell everyone what we did, what we eat, etc. and I had to tell him to stop because he was giving my whole presentation! They enjoyed learning about our holiday and all the fun things we do and how we celebrate.

After work I headed off with another person from the cville office, James, who was visiting for work to the resturant for the dinner. We met Dan and his wife and had an ALL YOU CAN EAT Thanksgiving meal (typical right?). We had turkey, mashed potatoes, burssel sprouts, green bean casserole, stuffing, biscuits, cooked carrots, AND pie! (pecan, pumpkin, and apple! but you only got to pick one) It was a wonderful meal and made going back to work for a few hours after eating a little better knowing I had just enjoyed some good food.

After our meal finished in Hong Kong it was time for everyone at home to start their day of Thanksgiving! I called home where my aunt and uncle were visiting and had missed them as they left with my dad to go see Jimmy and Sarah run in a Turkey Trot and momma was busy getting things ready in the kitchen! I don't think they played golf this year but the pictures from the day were wonderful and my Aunt is so special and sent me a lot of love through many pictures. The one with the sign that said "Missing You" and everyone holding it  was so my favorite! (side note- I have a picture like this from my graduation that says Miss You to Jimmy who was fighting for our freedom overseas) I sure did feel the love and missed being there!

I am so so Thankful for this experience and all of the support from friends and family from back home. It's amazing when you are alone all the hours when you are not at work how much you think about everyone in your life and all that you have. I miss and love you all and can't wait to get home and see each of you! Thank you for being amazing and know I think the world of you.

Sending love and hope you all are getting ready for the Holidays! I can't wait to be home to help celebrate!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment