Hong Kong 2007

Monday, November 12, 2012

SUNDAY- Discovery Bay

OOOOOOOOH Sunday. It has become my laziest day full of just me time.

I woke up late, wrote a blog and made myself go for a run. A run. I know. So not Margaret. I'm not going to lie...I just don't like running. I'll do it but don't care for it. If I have a friend to run with, I actually enjoy myself. Alone..I can do other things besides running. But for some reason I just needed to get out and go.

SO. I past all the women sitting and hanging in their groups on Sunday, down the the harbor walk area, and took off. I ran until there was construction at the end and I couldn't run anymore. So like Forrest Gump, I turned right around and kept on ruuuunnnin. It was weird for me since I don't usually run but it felt great. No means was I breaking in records with the pace but it just felt good to hear some old jams from the Ipod and get out.

To reward myself for my run I packed $30 HKD with me to stop and get yogurt for breakfast- yes, breakfast because I got granola on it (so a breakfast food). It was pretty great and if I knew I could get icecream yogurt after each run, I would totally run every day! It was a great treat and helped put a big ole smile on my face.

I checked the times at the dock and saw the boat to Discovery Bay would leave at 1:00pm and I had 30 minutes to go home, change into my bathing suit (beach in November? yeeees please!) and get on the boat ferry. So I did just that.

I felt like I was on a first class ferry with these legit seats. And it was really quite. AND it had great AC.

After the smooth ride to the island I got off the ship and headed to explore. The first thing I noticed was the beach was HUUUUUGE! So.much.sand!! And as I was walking on my left were just restaurants with outside seating and tons of people/families enjoying lunch outside.


I walked around the corner and saw the cute little parking spots for all the golf carts! This could be my favorite place- a big beach and you get to drive golf carts?? Huge double win! (if you don't know when I was younger I begged my parents to get me a golf cart when I turned 16 instead of a car...thankgod they didn't listen to me!)

And then I saw this gem...just in time for basketball season! I'll be cheering on the Blue Devils EXPECT on Tuesday night when they play the good ole Kentucky WILDCATS! GO CATS!
 



But thought that was awesome in Hong Kong you still have super proud parents of a student on the opposite side of the world!

I walked all the way down the beach, saw there was only a "private access" area and didn't feel like getting into trouble so I stopped, had a seat and watched all the families play on this huuge playground that was IN THE SAND! How awesome of a sand box is that?!?! Not only were kids playing on the playground, kids were playing ALL OVER. On roller blades, bikes, scooters, running, strollers, playing rugby, building sandcastles...kids were EVERYWHERE. It was not like regular Hong Kong at all. This was family friendly 24/7 safe and a ton of things for families to do! Also, I noticed this was the most English I have heard spoken during my whole trip here. Tons of expats live in this area. There's no traffic, no tall buildings, etc. It was just peaceful and clean.



After a few hours and a coffee I caught a glimpse of these guys...



At first- I totally thought they were dressing up because they are grownups who dress up in the spare time (there was some TV show about it and I was laughing thinking I was watching those people) but it turns out HBO was doing some Action Figure something so that's why Spiderman, Captain America, and others were in attendance. kinda weird...

And so I got back on the ferry. Saw this dock. Thought that's a way to save money...


Then on the ride back to Hong Kong Island we saw all these sailboats (heeeeey Becca Jane- come visit and we'll go sail!!!!!!) and I really wanted to see where I could rent one but of course, had zero luck. I think on the other side of the harbor you can get a boat..

AND of course, on my way back to my apt I was going by the hardware store on my street (shout out to my momma and her family hardware store!) I saw this- YUP. that man is cutting metal in the middle of the street, no protection, no eye glasses, straight up doing work. Good for him. I chose to walk on the other sidewalk.
Well I made it home safe, did laundry and go to dinner with Jenny. It was a great a relaxing Sunday and I enjoyed hearing all the football updates from Saturday. Excited about getting to hear some basketball news here soon!

Here's to WEEK 5 in Hong Kong! Cannot believe how fast time is flying! I saw today that tomorrow we only have 48 DAYS LEFT IN THE YEAR 2012!!!!!!!!! You better stop being a bum and get to workin on that bucket list you had planned since Jan 1 2012! Time is about to run out people!

Happy Monday friends! Sure do miss you!

No comments:

Post a Comment